First things first, the correct pronunciation is See-rotch- ah.
If you have used Sriracha sauce to season food or in a recipe, you will associate it with the name Huy Fong with Sriracha.
Huy Fong is however the brand name and not the sauce. The name is of a ship that carried the founder David Tran and over 3000 refugees out of Vietnam to the US during the Vietnam War in December 1978.
The company Huy Fong was founded in Los Angeles in 1980.
Another interesting trivia is that the founder David Tran is believed to be of Chinese origin, though he migrated to the US from Vietnam.
Also, Sriracha is not a name of any spice or pepper but a small coastal town in Thailand.
What is Sriracha?
It is an Asian-style spicy sauce made of or red jalapeno peppers. It was originally made of Serrano peppers, which are much more pungent.
Though considered a sauce, it is not just another sauce. Sriracha has its distinctive combination of ingredients and style of preparation.
Another big difference between Sriracha and other sauces is that while Sriracha can go along with any food, other sauces are limited in their use.
Sriracha sauce made by the pioneers Huy Fong generally comes in a clear plastic bottle and a green cap which has a nozzle for pouring.
What Does Sriracha Taste Like? Does Sriracha Taste Good?
Sriracha sauce is spicy. The level of spiciness and taste can vary from brand to brand.
But as Huy Fong is the most commonly used brand, we will use it as standard. If you get hold of a 9-ounce or 225 grams Huy Fong sauce bottle, it clearly states that it is made of sun-dried chilies.
There are also no artificial colors or flavoring. This means it tastes like sun-dried chilies.
Comparison with other Peppers
To know how it tastes compared to other spices, you would first need to understand the Scoville scale to measure different peppers' heat levels.
In the Scoville scale, the jalapeno's heat units range between 2,500 and 8,000 on the lower side. It is less hot than the Hungarian pepper and a bit hotter than Poblano pepper.
It is quite interesting to note from the information on a 9-ounce bottle that a teaspoon that can hold 5 grams has no calories.
If you are calorie conscious, there are no trans fat and saturated fat. The carbohydrate content is less than 1 percent.
It has 75 mg of sodium, 1 mg of Calcium, and 17 mg of Potassium. From the nutrition label, it is evident that Sriracha sauce is for seasoning purposes.
Sriracha sauce is mainly used to flavor noodles, hot dogs, hamburgers, soups, pizza, pasta, French fries, and potato chips.
In short, it is used to give taste to food and not as a primary source of nutrition.
How to Use Sriracha in Recipes?
You can use Sriracha with a variety of dishes. Here are some ideas:
- 1You can mix it with soy sauce, melted butter, ginger, and garlic paste and pour it over Chex Mix and put it for baking in an oven.
- 2Pour it over popcorn while preparing it in a dish or popcorn machine.
- 3Add it on garlic bread for extra flavoring.
- 4Pour it over tandoori chicken skewers.
- 5When preparing bacon wrapped onion rings, try adding them to Sriracha sauce before frying them. This will make your onion bacon rings extra spicy and give them a whole new taste.
- 6Before wrapping a sausage in bread to prepare a hot dog, try smearing Sriracha sauce on it first. Next, garnish it with cheese and other vegetables, and you have a tastier hotdog.
- 7Instead of eating almonds without any seasoning, you could try baking them with Sriracha along with honey or maple syrup. Add some salt for taste.
- 8You can also add Sriracha to beverages like Bloody Mary, Citrus Cocktail, Margarita, and even in icecreams.
Some peppers are very hot and may burn your mouth and cause digestion problems.
The red jalapeno peppers used in Sriracha are just right to use in almost any food item.
The Sriracha is the king of all sauces and is considerably the best in the world. You can use it with almost any kind of food.