Ice cream cake is a cake made from ice cream with other ingredients (such as chocolate syrup, whipped cream, sprinkles) layered on top.
Ice cream cakes are usually enjoyed for dessert or at birthday parties.
How long does ice cream cake last? The answer to this question may depend on how the cake is stored.
There are a few things you can do to keep your ice cream cake fresh.
Read on to find out.
What is Ice Cream Cake?
Ice cream cake is a rich dessert that typically consists of layers, alternating between ice cream and sponge cake.
The top layer usually features whipped cream icing with fruit or nuts as decoration.
The basic ingredients for an ice cream cake are:
- Heavy whipping cream, sugar, eggs.
- Vanilla extract or other flavoring/extracts like almond flavorings.
- Milk (or half & half).
- Cake mix.
- Ice cream.
Ice cream cakes are typically assembled in a large rectangular pan and frozen before serving.
The top layer of the cake is usually covered with whipped cream frosting that matches or complements the flavor of ice cream used as part of the recipe (like vanilla extract).
Ice cream cakes are traditionally served at celebrations such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, and other special events.
A good thing about making an ice cream cake is you can use any number of flavors for each tier: chocolate chip cookie dough; strawberry cheesecake; pistachio gelato; coffee walnut brownie – the options go on.
How to Store Ice Cream Cake?
Some people store ice cream cake by placing it in the freezer.
But do you know that there are other ways to make your cake last longer? The following steps will help you keep them both frozen and fresh:
- Cover with a few layers of cellophane or plastic wrap, then place an airtight lid on top. You can also use foil. Make sure to seal tightly, so no moisture gets inside.
- When storing for less than one week, put it in the freezer back where the temperature is stable (around -18 degrees F). Freezing at this setting helps prevent freezing damage from frost crystals forming on your cake’s surface.
- If stored for more than one week, move it to another location since constant exposure to -18-degree temperatures can cause it to freeze too hard.
How Long Does Ice Cream Cake Last? Does Ice Cream Cake Go Bad?
Ice cream cake typically lasts for about a week to ten days.
Some factors that affect the life of ice cream cake are temperature, humidity, and how well it is wrapped and packaged.
Ice-cream cakes with moisture-sensitive ingredients such as whipped cream or pudding will not last long at all because they become soggy quickly due to condensation in the air.
In contrast, those without any wet ingredients can stay fresher longer than others.
This usually leads to people eating them within two or three days after purchase, if not one day until their shelf life expires, so be sure that you eat your ice-cream cake before then, enjoy.
Always place the cake in the freezer to ensure it stays fresh.
Remembering these tips will help keep any ice cream cakes from going bad so everyone can enjoy one without worry.
How to Tell if Ice Cream Cake is Bad?
It can be difficult to tell if an ice cream cake is still good or not.
Some people might judge by the color of the icing, but it’s important to know that other factors in play could affect how dark a cake appears on the outside.
You’ll also have to use your senses to see hints such as texture and taste when possible.
Follow these steps below for more information about telling if an ice cream cake has gone bad after having been stored at home:
- First, look closely at the icing; discoloration from brownish spots (or even green) may indicate spoilage.
- If this doesn’t work, then check out what smells like off milk, sour odors, or strong flavors.
- Finally, take a small bite and evaluate the taste.
If it tastes like vanilla but smells off, there is an issue with your cake’s storage conditions.
If this doesn’t work, you may want to cut into more ice cream for further evaluation.
In conclusion, ice cream cake is made up of vanilla ice cream, whipped topping, and usually a cake layer.
This dessert can be kept in the freezer for 7 to 10 days or stored at room temperature for 12 hours.
You must store your ice cream cake on a plate with wax paper between it and the surface, so condensation doesn’t form from the melting ice cream onto surfaces below.