French Onion Soup is the perfect dinner, especially during the winter months.
It is easy to make and allows you to freeze for later use as, like any other veggie soup, French onion soup freeze well.
The French onion soup is made with beef stock and several other spices and ingredients like salt & pepper, butter, sweet onions, thyme, and cheese.
A bowl of freshly made hot French onion soup is the best way to keep you warm during cold winter days.
It is the best idea to make a few portions of onion soup in your freezer for later use when you get tired of cooking but still want to satisfy your taste buds with a warm and wholesome meal that can be prepared in significantly less time.
Can You Freeze French Onion Soup? And the answer is yes; you can freeze onion soup like any other cooked food you want to freeze.
The frozen French onion soup can stay for up to three months fresh in the freezer if you store it is in an airtight container.
The French onion soup is a tasty soup filled with spices and flavors, and not just that it also relaxes the airways.
Before storing the French onion soup, make sure that it reaches room temperature and cools down completely after cooking the soup.
Also, you can portion out the onion soup so that whenever you want to eat soup, you can take out one portion size and reheat it.
You should know how to freeze French onion soup properly can help you keep the tasty soup for many days in the freezer.
Also, it keeps the taste and flavors intact whenever you want to thaw and reheat so that you can enjoy your French onion soup for lunch or dinner quickly without any additional cooking time.
Does Freezing Affect French Onion Soup?
Freezing French Onion Soup does not affect the flavor as the soup freezes very well.
So, you don’t need to worry when you make excess soup whenever you make it and freeze it for later use.
However, do not add croutons and cheese to the soup when you want to freeze French onion soup.
You can add them once you reheat the soup to eat.
Freezing French onion soup is easy, and your family won’t tell the difference as it tastes like a fresh homemade soup.
To make sure that the soup stays good in the freezer, you must follow a few steps to keep the onion soup safe in the freezer.
The first step is, cook the French onion soup on a stove, and before freezing the soup, portion out the soup to freeze.
Also, portion out the soup before it cooks thoroughly when you plan to freeze it.
When you do not cook onions thoroughly, it keeps the onion firmer texture and doesn’t get mushy or too soft when you thaw and reheat the soup.
After cooking the soup, let it cool completely before placing it in the freezer.
The soup gets condensed in the freezer if you freeze it when it is hot, and also the quality of the soup will be wrecked.
That is why it is essential to allow the French onion soup to cool down and reach room temperature before freezing.
How to Freeze French Onion Soup?
You should follow different methods to make sure that the French onion soup stays tasty and flavorful when you want to freeze it for later use.
If you’re going to freeze the batch of soup, then portion out the soup into a smaller airtight container and freeze it so whenever you want to thaw and reheat the soup, you can take the smaller container easily without disturbing the remaining soup.
Important points that you need to remember when you want to freeze French onion soup in the freezer.
- Point No-1: It is vital that know that you should freeze French onion soup only after it is wholly cooed and reach room temperature. When you store the soup in the airtight container, it ensures that no moisture forms inside the container. .
- Point No-2: Remove the crouton or cheese from the soup before freezing the French onion soup. Cheese and crouton do not freeze well, and they get soggy after some time. Also, the soup gets spoiled quickly. .
- Point No-3: When you want to freeze the French onion soup, make sure to use a heavy-duty freezer bag or a sealed container to store the soup. These two types of storage methods keep the moisture away and keep the flavors and taste intact. .
- Point No-4: Before freezing the onion soup, make sure to write the date on the container so that you can use the frozen soup before the expiry date. The frozen French onion soup stays fresh for three months in the freezer.
If you follow all the steps correctly while storing the French onion soup, it can stay in the freezer for 3-months To, but the duration may vary depending on the storage container you use.
However, some experts believe that if you follow proper steps and proper storage of airtight containers, they can stay for 4 to 6 months.
How to Thaw Frozen French Onion Soup?
If you want to defrost your French onion soup, then make sure to take the portion of the soup that you want to reheat and eat for lunch or dinner.
Why? Because after thawing the frozen French onion soup, it is not safe to refreeze it again.
To defrost the frozen onion soup, take out the soup from the freezer and put it in the fridge, and leave it overnight.
The defrosting process takes several hours in this method, but it is one of the best and most effective thawing methods.
You can also put the frozen French onion soup in cold water to defrost; once the process is completed, take a microwave-safe bowl and transfer the soup into it.
Now, put the soup bowl in the microwave, heat it for 20seconds, and repeat the process until it thoroughly defrosts.
Can you Freeze French Onion Soup? Yes, absolutely; like any other cooked food, you can also freeze semi-cooked French onion soup.
You can preserve your French onion soup in the freezer for up to three months.
You should ensure that the soup is stored in an airtight container to prevent forming of moisture inside the container.
Also, make sure to put the French onion soup in the freezer once it is cooled completely.
- It is vital that know that you should freeze French onion soup only after it is wholly cooed and reach room temperature.
- Remove the crouton or cheese from the soup before freezing the French onion soup.
- When you want to freeze the French onion soup, make sure to use a heavy-duty freezer bag or a sealed container to store the soup.
- Before freezing the onion soup, make sure to write the date on the container so that you can use the frozen soup before the expiry date.
- The frozen French onion soup stays fresh for three months in the freezer.