Aquafaba refers to the viscous liquid in which the legume seeds like chickpeas tend to be cooked.
It does a great job of mimicking the egg whites’ functional properties during cooking.
This ingredient is also used as a substitute by many folks for making marshmallows and meringues.
This ingredient is perfectly suitable for vegans who don’t take eggs.
Joel Roessel, who is a musician, found that the water in canned beans had the ability to form foams like flax mucilage and protein isolates back in December of 2014.
He shared this experiment via recipes in his blog by using chickpea liquid.
It is possible to use this ingredient for making airy vegan desserts like chocolate mousse, vegan whiskey sour, and meringues too.
To make aquafaba, you just need to preserve the liquid of canned chickpeas by draining them.
This ingredient possesses a mild bean type of smell.
Can you freeze aquafaba? Yes, you can use your freezer for storing your aquafaba without any issues.
If you have plans about using them later, then we would advise you to freeze them.
It would be super convenient for you to store them in ice cube trays for later use.
Does Freezing Affect Aquafaba?
Freezing your aquafaba won’t affect its quality or taste.
Many folks try to save it after they open a can of chickpeas and eat it.
Some folks make the mistake of just storing them at room temperature or in the fridge, which is never okay if you want to use them for extended periods.
By freezing your aquafaba, you get to preserve its freshness, and it is quite evident when you use it.
The temperature shift inside the freezer will cause your aquafaba to become solid.
In this way, the flavours remain intact without losing their authentic standard.
Plus, you will know if your aquafaba has gone bad simply by smelling it.
If it gives off a suspicious smell, then you should toss it without any hesitation.
We strongly advise you to never consume a spoiled aquafaba if you value your health.
How To Freeze Aquafaba?
Do you have a lot of aquafaba left? Are you planning on discarding them? Well, you shouldn’t because they respond quite well to freezing.
Here’s how you can freeze your aquafaba:
You need to know the formulas for measuring this ingredient.
- 1 Egg White = 2 tablespoons of your aquafaba.
- 1 Entire Egg = 3 tablespoons of your aquafaba.
The steps are as follows:
- First, you need to take out a proper ice cube tray that will fit inside your freezer.
- For freezing in the quantities mentioned above, proceed in measuring the right amount in every cube space.
- Now, proceed in putting them inside the freezer and allow them to thoroughly freeze.
- After they freeze, take them out of the freezer and pop them out by pushing them in the centre of the ice cube tray. If some are still stuck, then start twisting on both sides to get them out.
- Proceed in transferring your frozen aquafaba cubes into a storage container or Ziploc bag that’s freezer-safe. Ensure that you seal them tightly by getting rid of as much air as possible.
- Here, you need to start labelling your container or bag by using a marker. Write down both the freezing date and the liquid amount that you froze. In this way, you will know the amount of aquafaba that you are using every time.
- If you have tons of stuff inside your freezer, you can also write down the content on your bag or container to make things more convenient.
- Also, if you are making more aquafaba before using the old batch, then freeze the new ones inside a different airtight container or Ziploc bag. Avoid mix-matching to preserve them.
Your Aquafaba will last anywhere between 3-4 months inside the freezer.
However, if you are cautious with its handling, then you can easily expect the frozen aquafaba ice cubes to last even longer.
However, we would advise you to not keep it for too long as it might start to develop a freezer taste, which isn’t something that you would want.
How To Thaw Frozen Aquafaba?
For thawing your aquafaba, the process is quite simple.
Here’s how you can defrost them:
1 – Using Your Fridge.
- You can take out your frozen aquafaba cubes from the freezer as required.
- Proceed to put them inside a bowl.
- Transfer them to your fridge and allow them to thaw overnight or during the day. Since they thaw fast, we would suggest you do it a few hours before using it.
2 – Using Room Temperature.
- Take out the desired number of frozen aquafaba cubes from your freezer.
- Place all of them inside a bowl and allow them to rest on your kitchen counter.
- The temperature change will instantly unfreeze them.
3 – For Aquafaba Meringues.
The best way to thaw your meringues would be by allowing them to defrost inside the fridge.
Just take out the required number of meringues and put them in a bowl.
Keep them in your fridge overnight and use them the next day.
If you wish to thaw them quickly, then you can allow your aquafaba meringues to rest on the counter.
You can expect them to thaw in over 3 hours or less.
Microwaving your frozen aquafaba meringues is also another great idea.
- Do not try to thaw your frozen aquafaba ice cubes with a stove or microwave. This method will affect and change its key properties, giving you a bad outcome.
- The same applies to oven and hot water with frozen aquafaba ice cubes.
Aquafaba is a crucial cooking ingredient that serves an array of purposes in many dishes and desserts.
It also has many health benefits because it contains B Vitamins, phosphorous, folate, healthy fats, oleic acid, iron, and linoleic acid.
At first, aquafaba smells like beans, but it goes away when mixed with the recipes that you are cooking.
Since aquafaba features a lower content of protein, it is suitable for people suffering from PKU or Phenylketonuria.
You can also use it to make multiple vegan desserts, pizza crust, angel food cake, mousse, and much more.
Always choose to freeze it for your convenience.