Banana bread, as its name suggests, is made from mashed bananas, and all-purpose flour. It has become one of the most popular food items all over the world.
The main reason why this bread is gaining a lot of popularity is that it uses a banana as its main ingredient.
And you probably have heard of the health benefits of this world-famous fruit which is available throughout the year. Also, did you know that banana is the most popular fruit in the world?
There are dozens of banana bread recipes, which means your options are not just limited to a particular kind.
In this post, we will answer one of the most asked questions, how long does banana bread last? We also discuss how bad banana bread can affect your health.
Does Banana Bread Go Bad? How Long Does Banana Bread Last?
The answer to the question, how long does banana bread remain fresh/fit for consumption will depend on several factors.
- Normally, you’d want the bread to cool down completely before storing it. This is necessary because mold develops faster if the bread is stored warm.
- The bread should be taken out of the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven. This will ensure that the bottom of the bread does not become soggy. Soggier bread is more likely to go bad sooner.
- To ensure that banana bread remains fresh for longer, you should wrap it in tin foil, a plastic wrap or an airtight container.
Keeping the above conditions in mind, let’s take a look at some of the factors which determine the freshness of banana bread.
In addition, the storage conditions determine the freshness of foods, banana bread in this case.
- Freshly baked banana bread stored properly – Under normal conditions, properly stored banana bread should last for 2-3 days, depending on the climate conditions. The bread ferments much faster in a hot place.
- If the bread is stored in a freezer container and put into the fridge, it should last for 6 to 7 days.
- Banana bread stored in a freezer can last for more than a month. Note that these are only estimates.
Irrespective of how well you store the banana bread, it will go bad sooner or later, and you should know that consuming spoiled food can be dangerous for your health.
Remember that molds are active even in a slice of toasted bread.
How to Tell if Banana Bread is Bad? Banana Bread Shelf Life!
There are several signs which indicate that banana bread is spoilt or gone bad. Here are some of the spoilage signs that show that your bread is no longer safe for eating.
Mold – The first sign you should watch out for is mold, which is responsible for the decomposition of food. Mold appears on bread as fuzzy spots.You’ll find these spots in different colors, white, green, black, or grey. These are actually colonies of fungus reproducing as they feed on the bread.
Discoloration – A banana bread changes its color as it begins to ferment. Avoid eating it if you find that its color has changed partially or whole.
Odd or off odor – If you don’t find any visual spoilage signs, you should try smelling it. If it has a strange/funny smell, it’s time to bake or buy a fresh one.
The main reason why banana bread gets spoiled is due to the growth of molds.
Molds can produce mycotoxins, which can upset the digestive system. People with a weak immune system may suffer severe allergic reactions.
Banana bread is not usually meant to be stored for an extended period since its shelf life is considerably short.
If you enjoy baking your own bread, it’s best always to make a small one when you want it.
This way, you’ll never have to preserve it and worry about its condition.
If you prefer buying it instead of baking at home, make sure you buy not more than you can consume in a day or two.
Well, you can make use of the refrigerator or a freezer, but it’s not very healthy.
The best option is to eat fresh ones. Freeze your foods only when necessary.