Almonds date back thousands of years, and humans have been reaping benefits from them.
Whether you use them in your favorite recipes or eat them because of their numerous health benefits, almonds are famous worldwide.
These seeds produce almond extracts that enhance the taste of many foods, which is why many homes have almond extract in their kitchen pantry but do they expire?
Although a pack of almond extract comes with a “best by” date, they can surpass their best before date if stored properly.
So how long does almond extract last? Does almond extract go bad? Or why should we be concerned about bad almond extract?
If you have been searching for hours on the internet to find answers to these questions, you have landed on the right page.
This article will help you find out all about almond extract and how you can extend almond extracts’ shelf life.
How Long Does Almond Extract Last? Does Almond Extract Go Bad?
Although many people term almonds as a nut, they are the seeds of the almond tree.
Similar to almond essence, almond extract is an ingredient that enhances the flavor of different recipes.
Almond extract is a multidimensional ingredient and enhances several desserts as well as savory recipes.
So how long does almond extract last? The shelf life of almond extracts depends significantly on storage conditions.
As manufacturers use alcohol to make the almond extract, you can expect an unopened bottle to retain its quality for about a year.
However, if you take proper care of the storage conditions, you can make it last longer without losing flavor.
Like most other food products, including vanilla extract, almond extract come with a “best by” date.
However, this date does not mean that your almond extract has gone bad, even if the best before date has elapsed.
Although, manufacturers recommend consuming the almond extract before the “best by” date to enjoy the best quality.
Here are a few steps that will help you to extend the shelf life of almond extract:
- Storing almond extract in a cool and dark place will maximize its shelf life. Ideally, a dark cabinet or cupboard in your kitchen pantry will suffice the job.
- Keep the almond extract away from direct sunlight or heat. Humid conditions can ruin the composition of the almond extract and diminish the flavors.
- To preserve the almond extract’s quality, you should keep the almond extract in an airtight container.
- Close the container tightly when the almond extract is not in use.
Does almond extract go bad? As we mentioned earlier, almond extract can lose its quality and flavor if not stored properly.
You need to take good care of your almond extract and keep it in proper storage conditions.
How to Tell if Almond Extract is Bad?
Since almond extract typically carries a best before date, you can assume that it will lose some of its qualities once it passes that date.
Although you can extend almond extract’s shelf life, it eventually loses its peak quality.
So how to tell if the almond extract is bad? Almond extract loses quality and flavor over time, and below are the signs that indicate unusable almond extract:
- Strong alcohol smell. Manufacturers use water, bitter almond oil, and alcohol (the latter acts as a preservative). However, as time passes by, the delightful almond aroma will diminish, and you will begin to inhale a strong alcohol smell. If your almond extract gives out a strong alcohol smell, it would be best to discard it.
- Flavor loss. If you don’t follow proper storage techniques, the almond extract loses flavor, which is a sign that you should replace it. Airtight containers play a crucial part in preserving the quality and flavors of almond extract, and you should close the lid tightly when not in use.
- Appearance. You can also determine the state of the almond extract by judging it with your sense of sight. If you notice any color changes coupled with a foul odor, it would be best to replace it with a new one.
A bad almond extract can ruin your muffins and cookies, which is why it is undoubtedly the best practice to check for the listed symptoms to determine the state of your almond extract.
Cooking and baking can be fun, and with almond extracts enhancing the flavors, you will enjoy numerous delightful and mouth-watering experiences.
Almond extract is known for its intense flavor, making it a crown jewel for all your favorite delicacies.
Apart from serving your taste buds, almond extracts carry numerous health benefits, such as stabilizing blood sugar levels, promoting heart health, and maintaining a healthy weight.
With so many health benefits and rich flavors on offer, it would be undoubtedly worth taking proper care of your almond extracts.
So if your almond extracts are exhibiting the above symptoms, it is time that you get yourself a fresh one. Besides, we all love baked goods and desserts!